Cynthia Guffy's Cowl Neck Top

I've had this pattern in my stash for almost 2 years now!  I fell in love with this top when I saw Cynthia wearing a sleeveless version at the Sewing Expo in MN.  She had made it up in a gray silk dupioni and it was so classic!  The cowl neck was different - and I loved that it was a cowl made in a woven fabric. So, of course, I bought the pattern.

A couple of things to know about these patterns.  Everything is done by hand, the sketch of the final garment, the sewing instructions, and even the pattern itself looks hand drafted.  There is nothing wrong with this - just a heads up that instructions are minimal.  Once I got this pattern home and opened it up - I was a bit nervous to make it up because I wasn't sure if the fit would be similar to the big four companies.  The pattern comes in three sizes, so I did assume I would need to do some fitting.


The pattern went together easily, I really only referred to the instructions to understand the cowl neck.  The princess seams made it easy to adjust for a closer fit.  I used an invisible zipper, which was easy to install and has a nice clean finish.  (If you haven't had success with an invisible zipper in the past - check out this great tutorial http://jsterndesigns.blogspot.com/2009/07/how-to-insert-invisible-zipper-into.html)
The pattern includes a neck facing, which I left off.  I attached the cowl neck and top stitched the seam to keep it in place.  Here is a picture of the inside of the neckline - pardon the white serger thread - I didn't have a better match.
 I do wish Cynthia had included a picture of how to close the back of the cowl neck.  I probably did a fine job - but I would just like to see if she would have done anything differently.  The direction say to close with snaps and you can see the snaps in the picture above. 

Overall I like the top.  It was easier to make than I anticipated and I wouldn't mind having another one, a sleeveless version in a different fabric.


Comments