How do you say I love you?

My sister-in-law has recently begun to tease me about my lack of cooking.  And it's not that I'm a bad cook, but my husband has been doing more of the cooking lately because he's home from work before I am.  Even if I was home to cook dinner more often - that's not really my thing.  For so many cooking and food is how you show love to your family and friends.   Hey, I can read a recipe - but cooking for me is more a necessity, not a love.   I won't try to win you over with a five course meal, instead I'll show you my love with a homemade gift!

Many of my close friends have little ones.    I know lots of ladies who sew for their grandkids and make these adorable outfits- but my thought has been I don't have the time to make something they're just going to grow out of in 6 months.  have challenged myself to find sewing projects for these little guys that are practical and fun for them,  but won't be outgrown in 6 months.  So, I've made quilts, bean bags, and pillow cases.  However, I recently found a new project that is quick, practical and kids love it!  Chalkboard placemats! 

I found this idea in a quilt shop, the Country Cloth in Angels Camp, CA.    They had an example of a chalkboard placemat, and it blew me away that chalkboard fabric even exists!  I immediately bought enough fabric for all the kiddo's in my life.  When I got home I searched the web for directions on how to make the placemats.  There are several links for directions and you can find numerous variations to this idea on Etsy.  I like the directions from this blog the best: SewAmazin.  These instructions include directions for the placemats and bag to carry the mat and accessories (chalk and eraser). 

Here is an example of two that I recently made.  I love this project because it's quick (30min), I get to work with cute fabrics, and you can get as creative as you want!

A couple of quick tips - I like using a walking foot, or minimally reduce the pressure on your sewing machine foot because the two pieces of fabric need to move together through your machine, otherwise you will get tucks in the fabric you're using to line the chalkboard fabric.  You have to "cure" the chalkboard fabric by basically running chalk over it and then erasing it all - I usually do this when the placemat is complete.  Finally, I make my eraser out of foam from the fabric store - easy! 



Comments