My Hunting Hubby

Growing up as native Californians, hunting wasn't a common outdoor sport among the friends or family of my husband or myself.  When I agreed to move to Minnesota for my husband's job, I had no idea that our 3 year sojourn would turn my husband into a hunter.  You see, I grew up completely oblivious to the sport and so innocently never thought that a move to the midwest would have such a big impact on my husband.  Oh I know, there are hunters in California, but we generally abide by the don't ask, don't tell policy.  By the way, those friends of his who have encouraged him in this endevor shall remain nameless in this blog!

My husband is a great supporter of my sewing and an even greater nag asking me to make things for him.  In a moment of weakness while he was graciously shopping with me in the Fabric Depot, a giant fabric store in Portland Oregon, I offered to make him something from any fabric he selected.  Of course he jumped on that offer and quickly picked out a True Timber Snow camo moleskin fabric.  So I came back home from our Oregon vacation with a project for Dave.

I already have at least a handful of projects for Dave in my sewing stash .  As it happened, we had a trip planned to go back to Minnesota soon and it was a perfect opportunity for Dave to wear his new snow camo item.  So, I fast-tracked this project and finished it just in time for our trip.

I used McCall's 5252 - view C a 1/2 zip pullover.  One note on this pattern, it runs large.  I've made this pattern before, in a size large based on Dave's measurements.  I made view E and it was way too big - I had to make several adjustments.  This time I started with the medium and it was a little snug when Dave tried it on the first time.   I reduced the seam allowances on the sides to 1/4 inch - giving me back an inch in width.  It worked like a charm and fit just right.  The arms were also a bit long when he tried it on.  I made the adjustment, but when he tried on the finished top - the arms were too short.  Just another reminder - measure twice, cut once!  Dave had a quick solution - he wanted to have elastic with a pull cord around the wrists so he could cinch the sleeves tight over his gloves.  To add this idea I simply cut a rectangle of fabric 2 inches wide by the length of the bottom of the sleeve plus seam allowance.  I folded the fabric in half to create a tube to thread the elastic through, sewed button holes for the entry and exit of the elastic,  then attached the plastic toggles.  The additional length was just enough and added a useful feature to his pullover! 

Here is my hubby proudly wearing his pullover.  And in the spirit of this Thanksgiving Holiday today - let me take this opportunity to say I am very thankful for my husband, hunter or not!




Comments

  1. The pullover looks great! How wonderful that you both support each other's hobbies. Happy Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment