5 Things I learned about Sewing this year

1.  Sew what you like to sew –not what you need to sew 

I  know I’m in a cycle of NEED based sewing when I don’t enjoy my sewing time and find I’m only in my sewing room because I have a deadline to meet.

I’m the Queen of taking on projects based on other’s “needs” or creating projects for myself based on what I THINK others need.   For example – agreeing to make fabric bags for my church’s VBS program, or deciding that I need to make all of my Christmas gifts.  None of these are bad ideas in themselves – but by the end of the project I was not having any fun!  Working full time – I have to squeak out sewing time wherever I can find it.  When I find myself spending this time on projects that don’t fill up my creativity bucket, but instead become a drain on my creativity bucket – that’s when I know it’s time to stop the project.  So, if you or a family member needs a new jacket, dress, top, or pair of pants – don’t put it on your to-do list unless it’s a project that you WANT to sew.  Just because you CAN sew the item needed, doesn’t mean you SHOULD sew it.

 2.  Invest in your sewing – from fabric to classes   

I’ve found that having a creative outlet actually refuels my energy level and that’s important given the craziness of life.  It’s worth it to me to invest in fueling my hobby in a quality way. 

Classes – Classes are a fun way to spend time with like minded sewing nerds.  Let's face it your friends don’t really care to hear the details of hours spent shopping for the perfect fabric, altering a pattern and painstakingly fitting a garment to look just right.  Like the saying goes, “iron sharpens iron” - creative groups breed creativity.  When I take a class, it’s often a tie between what I enjoyed more – the camaraderie of the class or what I actually learned in the class.

Fabric – Ahhhhhhh, now I’m a true bargain hunter, I don’t shop unless I see the word sale.  I’m on the email list for several on line fabric stores and I’m a sucker whenever I get a sale email.  But I’ve found that fabric is often cheap for a reason.  I’m not taking about a 25% off sale – I’m taking about fabric under $5, or 60%+ off original price – buyer beware!  You will spend more time fiddling with the fabric trying to get it to hang right and invest more time in a project which greatly increases your total investment.  By the time you’ve calculated your time into the project – your $5 top is probably worth $50 – but unfortunately because of the low quality of the fabric –it still looks like $5!


3.  No fabric or pattern is worth your sanity – keep it fun!

Save your sanity – it’s not a reflection on you or your sewing ability if you throw something out unfinished.

Ever have those projects that sound like a good idea initially but 8 hours into the project you’re wondering if it will ever end?  I believe this is how the term wadders was developed (the ball of fabric that you wad up and throw in a corner).  I have worked on projects where the most enjoyable part of the project was throwing away the ½ finished item or the horrible pattern.  Trust me, sometimes just getting the project out of sight will save you hundreds of gray hairs!  Those projects are out there – and it’s best to know when to say WHEN.

4.  There is a season for every kind of sewing

Sometimes you are in a season where you have very limited time, but that doesn’t mean you have to give up your creative outlet.

I’m not taking about sewing your shorts and sun dresses in Jan so they’ll be ready by April/May.  I’m taking about realizing that you may not be in a season of life that supports making elaborate couture garments, you might just have enough time to sew a one seam pant! I’ve been back working full time for a year now and my sewing time is whatever I can find at the end of the day or weekends.  When I wasn’t working full time I could easily finish 4 garments a month, but now I’m lucky to finish one project in a month.  I recently invested 16 hrs. into a very detailed trench coat which I learned was way too much time for me to spend on one garment.  The best part of sewing is being able to wear your finished item (and get compliments).  But if a garment takes 16 hrs., then it’s probably going to take me two months to finish!  I’ve found I get more enjoyment from the simple shirt or dress that I can quickly sew, fit, and wear.   Some day I will be back in a place where I have more time to invest, but that’s just not where I am today.

 5.  Know your limits – work within them, not against them!

This means taking what you’ve learned in #4 and putting it into practice!

I have a friend who told me she sews at least an hour every day.  Yes, she’s retired, but there is still something in this that is applicable to me.  I’ve learned that I can usually squeak an hour in my sewing room at the end of the workday - sometimes it’s two days a week and sometimes it’s more.  In order to make that time productive, when I have larger blocks of time on the weekend I cut out several patterns in one session so I have projects ready to go during the week.  I try to be sensible out what I can get done in an hour - when I’m tired I don’t work on things that I know can be tricky and need more concentration - like fitting a garment, or trying to attach a collar and stand to a shirt.  I often find that one hour in my sewing room can actually recharge my energy level - I just have to be careful that I don’t get my mind so active that I can’t sleep!  

Comments