A Girl and Her Dress

I don't know how the "Easter dress" tradition started, but for me it almost feels like it's just in my genes to have a new dress for Easter Sunday.  (There is actually much more behind this tradition, and you can read more here on Wikipedia. ) Although I'm not really a dressy girl, I'm a sucker for a beautiful dress pattern.  I probably have more dress patterns in my collection than what I will be able to sew in my lifetime.  So, back to my point - Easter Sunday just seems to call out for a new dress!

Now that we're back in California, I can pretty much depend on a nice sunny Easter - giving me more dress options.  When we were living in Minnesota, you could depend that there would still be snow on the ground come Easter Sunday.  Any fancy Easter attire needed to include boots and probably wool - ho hum...

Like most garments, the idea for this dress started with a great fabric.  I purchased this great viscose knit about six months ago from The Sewing Workshop.   The ikat pattern and purple color caught my eye immediately and when the package arrived I was even more impressed with the quality of this knit.  Because I loved the fabric so much, I didn't want to chance making a mistake, so I went with a tried-and-true wrap dress from Christine Johnson (her sketches just do justice to her patterns).

I wrote a blog a while ago comparing the Christine Johnson Wrap dress and the Vogue Wrap dress 8379; explaining why I picked the CJ dress  - you can find it here if you're interested.   For this dress I followed Christine's directions to raise the neckline but I don't really see much of a difference.  Directions here.  Although I love the look of a wrap top or dress, I'm never comfortable with the low neckline - but this is easily fixed with a cami.

I was very excited to wear my new dress this Easter.  The star of this garment was really the fabric - great color and it felt wonderful on too!







Comments