What would Marc Jacobs do?

I confess I love shopping designer leftovers.  I snoop around on Fabricmart and Elliot Bermen looking specifically at the designer names.  I like to think that these fabrics are higher quality; they are definitely unique.   About eight months ago I purchased these two Marc Jacob fabrics from Fabricmart.  The first is a worsted wool which is teal on one side and navy on the other.  The other is a light cotton with a fun abstract print.  The vibrant colors in both fabrics instantly attracted me.  When they arrived I realized they actually coordinate with each other-duh!

I instantly liked the idea of a jacket for the teal/navy wool.  I racked my brain for a jacket pattern that would make the best use of this double sided fabric.  While searching through my pattern stash I came across the Tribeca Shirt from the Sewing Workshop.  I've made this shirt as a jacket before; it's very simple but looks expensive.  While searching for some creative options for this pattern on PatternReview.com - I found that the Sewing Workshop has instructions of how to turn the shirt into a lined jacket - here.  In fact, this pattern is recommended to use with contrasting fabrics.  Eureka!

Some modifications I made - the worsted wool is very light weight - so I added interfacing to the front facings.  Forward shoulder adjustment - more on this to come in another post.  I also used a 1/4" shoulder pad to help add form to the shoulder and allow the sleeve to hang nicely.  The instructions for adding a lining were easy to follow.  Here is an inside shot of the lining, a bit of a patchwork, because I wanted to include the co-ordinate fabric in this project.



    Now that I had my jacket complete, of course I need something to wear under it!  The abstract print cotton would make a great short sleeve top for summer.  This is Silhouette pattern 300 Sharon's Blouse.  I love this tie collar look; I've seen it all over ready-to-wear.  The only adjustment I made, beside a forward shoulder, was to use the "burrito method" for the neck tie.  What is the burrito method?!  No chips and salsa here - just this link: burrito method.  I used this same concept to enclose all of the seams on the neck tie.  Just leave a 2 inch opening to turn the entire shirt through and then slip stitch this spot closed.

So, I wonder, what would Marc Jacobs have done with these two fabrics?

P.S. I bought enough yardage of the wool to create a top and bottom, but I still haven't been able to determine the best bottom for this fabric.  


Comments