Pattern Review Weekend San Francisco 2013!

Well, it's called Pattern Review Weekend, but for me it was really just Pattern Review Friday.
If you haven't heard of Pattern Review - it's a website that is a treasure trove of information for sewers. The founder, Deepika, started the website because as a beginner sewer without friends or family who sew, she was looking for a forum to be able to connect with other sewers, share ideas, and experience. The website was started in 2001 and now is used by over 300,000 sewers to "collaborate, share and discuss the projects they have been working on, or are planning to work on."

I've been a member for a couple of years and my favorite part of the site is the pattern reviews written by members. I love to buy patterns when on sale - at 5 for $5 even if you throw one or two out, you're still coming out ahead!  Then, when I'm home I read about them on Pattern Review to determine if I really want to use them, or if I shouldn't waste my time. This site has definitely saved me grief and frustration by learning from other's experiences!

Every year Pattern Review hosts a weekend event in a select city.  This year it was held in San Francisco, the weekend of 4/26-4/27 at the Marine's Memorial Club and Hotel. Since it was going to be in my own backyard, there was no way I was going to miss out! Sandra Betzina was the keynote speaker- that cinched the deal for me.  Friday morning was full of learning fitting tips from Sandra. She covered a gamut of information and answered questions as she went along.  During the two-hour lunch break, we were free to try on sample garments that Sandra had brought with her, participate in a pattern swap, paw through Sandra's wardrobe created from her patterns, or shop in the city.  The afternoon session was filled with Sandra showing us her wardrobe and sharing some of the techniques used to create unique details in each garment.  We wrapped the day with a short time of open Q&A. I thoroughly enjoyed listening to Sandra, she loves to find quick easy solutions to make sewing fun and she has a passion to share her knowledge.  I also enjoyed seeing her example garments up close - she has a great eye for fabric and her creativity is inspiring!  Saturday was scheduled as a day of fabric shopping, and as you know, there is no "garment district" in S.F.   There are a few gems but they are scattered through out the Bay Area.  Volunteer drivers offered carpool options, and directions were supplied for those taking public transportation.  Most stores generously offered a discount to Pattern Review shoppers - a nice plus. Along with these activities, the weekend was full of contests and drawings that all can participate in with prizes offered by various patterns companies.  

Although I only had time to participate in the Friday events, I still feel that I got my money's worth for the weekend which costs $125. The perks are discounts offered by the speaker on their products, discounts at local fabric shops, dinner included Friday night, and a commemorative bag. But in my opinion, you really can't put a price on the camaraderie of being able to share your passion with like minded people.  When I walked into the meeting ball room I instantly recognized faces; not of people I know personally, but faces from pictures I've seen on Pattern Review! I really enjoyed meeting and sharing with the ladies at my table on Friday. I met a new friend over lunch and we shopped together at Britex. Throughout the weekend you can meet as many, or as few new sewing friends as you like!  The weekend is really what you make of it. For the Friday dinner (I wasn't able to attend) most ladies bring a new outfit made for the weekend. In fact, people often bring several changes of clothes just to be able to show off their creativity.  

Overall, I would recommend attending a Pattern Review Weekend. However, I probably would not go to a another weekend if I had to include airfare and hotel expenses - unless I made it into a bigger vacation, which is what they encourage by picking cities such as SF, NY, Chicago to name a few. This year was a nice opportunity for me to attend given that I am just a BART ride away.  Next year's city will be Autstin, Tx.  So, if you have relatives in Texas, or have been dying to visit the Alamo, consider timing it with the next Pattern Review Weekend.

Here is a link to the PR site and their "official" review of the weekend: PRW13

Here is a group shot of the attendee's with Sandra and Deepika in the front row:

Here are photo's of the apron contest:





 

Comments