In search of Marcy Tilton...

Live - from our Oregon Cost road trip - blogging from the road!  My husband, Dave, and I have been on an Oregon road trip this week.  We started in Salem, drove up through Portland along the Columbia River to Cannon Beach, then down along the coast with a small jog out to Cave Junction.  Why Cave Junction you ask?  That was one of the first questions I asked Marcy Tilton when I met her at her Art Barn and studio.  From Minnesota, to San Francisco, of course Cave Junction was the next logical move, right?  Cave Junction is about 45 minutes off the main stretch of highway 5.  There were times, as we were driving down long country roads surrounded by pine covered mountains, when I felt we could be lost in the middle of nowhere!
Just this lonely mail box marking the home of Marcy Tilton
The original inspiration for this Oregon road trip was not a trip to buy fabric, it was to relax on the beach.   But knowing I would be so close to some great fabric opportunities, I had to take advantage of the situation! (still keeping in mind my husband's tolerance level)  Thursday morning we left from Lincoln City and drove along the coast to Florence, where we cut over on 126 to 5.  The drive from the coast was a beautiful trek through the Umpqua Valley, a fly fisherman's heaven.  With just two stops, one at an Elk preserve and another for a few quick pictures of the river, by the time we made it to Cave Junction we'd been on the road for 6 hrs!  Marcy came out to greet us and give us the lay of the land, then left me to feel and peruse my way through the fabrics.  Even Dave found some fabric he liked!
I walked away with some lovely pieces, and excited to start sewing Fall projects.  I really enjoyed meeting Marcy and hearing about her background in San Francisco.  If you're ever in the Ashland area I recommend making a trip out to Cave Junction.  Marcy has top quality fabrics and no sales tax!  Her helpers Shelley and Diane were very friendly and willing to share their knowledge of the fabrics.
Here are some more pictures from our adventure.
The Art Barn
Friendly Bosco
Decisions, decisions
Photo studio and fabric receiving room




     

Comments