Just 3 inches short!

I'm blogging about this mistake not because my solution was rocket science, but because it was simple and quick.  I just wanted to remind readers that solutions don't have to be tricky or slick - sometimes they can be quite simple and the results are often just as pleasing.

My last blog about my husband was the camo pull over I made him.  This time I made him something that I would like to see him wear.  This fabric was a sweater knit that I bought on line intending to use for myself.  However, when the box arrived, the fabric looked more masculine that what I thought from the picture on line.  So my mind quickly went to something that would be right for Dave.  The only problem with this switch is that when I switch a fabric from something for me, to something for Dave,  I often don't have enough fabric.  While I can easily squeek a shirt out of 1 1/2 yards of fabric - Dave needs at least 2 yards.  I happened to have bought 1 3/4yds of this particular fabric, so I though- what the heck, let's give it a try.

I thought the colors of this fabric would look great on Dave, and I kept the project simple so it could be completed quickly.  I used Kwik Sew Men's Tee pattern 3299.   Sometimes I'm so excited about a project I just jump in and figure whatever challenge comes up, I'll just figure it out!  So, with my 1 3/4 yds of fabric I jumped in, laid out the front and back pieces and cut them out.  Then I refolded my fabric ready to cut out the sleeves - but wait, I'm short on fabric!  Ok, what do I do now?  I don't really see this fabric as a short sleeve tee, I think that would look a bit juvenile.  So, I arranged the sleeve pattern on my longest length of fabric and I was still about 3 inches short of the full sleeve.  My solution became to add a cuff cut made of the same fabric.

I am very pleased with the final top.  You can't even tell there is a cuff on the sleeve, it blends very nicely into the arm.  Who would have ever known that I didn't have enough fabric and the cuff was just a creative solution to my problem?

From camo to sophisticated stripes!


Comments