Hello again...

It's been almost 5 years since my last post.  In that time I've moved twice and had two baby boys who are now two and four years old.  I've often thought about picking up my computer and blogging again but as a mom of young kids, there are many things I think about and not many that I actually have time to do.  However, lately I've become bored with many of the sewing blogs I use to enjoy.  I'm tired of seeing the same tried and true dress or shirt pattern, tired of the glamour shots, and even more tired of seeing the promotion of sewing or other products.  I feel I have a different voice and a different message, so here I am again.  

Over the last 5 years I've continued to sew, although my pace of completion has slowed dramatically.  I've struggled to find the right type of sewing projects given limited time and multiple interruptions.  I have tried some things I swore I would never do like quilting and sewing for babies/kids.  (But when they're your own kids - you have to sew for them, even if they only wear it once!  You sew for those you love, right?!)  The formula that seems to work for me now is a project with few pattern pieces (3-5) and an easy fit, or a TNT pattern with just a few design changes.  

However, on my most recent project I broke many of my own rules and I ended up with a wadder.  How long has it been since you had a wadder???  Sometimes when a project isn't going the way you want, throwing it out can provide the greatest amount of relief!  I had decided to try a downloadable pattern - new to me.  I picked the Cheyenne Tunic by Hey June with more than 5 pieces.   The reviews on Pattern Review.com seemed positive, so I plowed ahead.  Have you ever worked on a pattern that seemed to have bad mojo for you?  Well, this was one of those for me.  

Everything printed and taped together fine.  I cut out a size M- based on my measurements.  Once I began sewing however,  even the simple steps seemed to trip me up and I would have to take out and rework.  I was using a beautiful yarn died woven that looked almost the same on both sides.  And I didn't interface the usual pieces, but I probably should have because the weave on this was just loose enough to easily stretch.  All that aside... I would give the instructions a C.  I rely on illustrations (and I don't think I'm the only one) because written descriptions can be so cumbersome and confusing.  The illustrations were NOT helpful for the neck or sleeve plackets.  I'm glad I've already sewn plackets like these or I would have been totally confused.  In the end, it's definately too big in places that would require too much rework time.  I also think the collar is a bit large as it is drafted and I took 2 inches off the length of the arms.  I think you can see how over sized the shirt is even on my dress form.  So, to end my frustration with this project - into the trash it will go.  And anyway, I don't like the fabric as much now that I've seen it on me.   I do think I'll size down and try a sleeveless version for summer, as I do like the design lines.  

         

Comments